SSC JE Electrical Engineering Syllabus (Main Topics):
Basic concepts, Circuit law, Magnetic Circuit, AC Fundamentals, Measurement and Measuring instruments, Electrical Machines, Fractional Kilowatt Motors and single phase induction Motors, Synchronous Machines, Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Estimation and Costing, Utilization and Electrical Energy, Basic Electronics. Detailed SSC JE Electrical Syllabus is given in last of this article.
Topic wise Question Pattern of SSC JE Electrical Engineering Exam, Paper-I, 2014:
Electrical Engineering (100 questions)
- Basic Concepts=10 questions
- SI Units of resistivity, conductivity etc.=3 questions
- Energy/Power consumption=2 questions
- Equivalent Resistance, Capacitance=3 questions
- Series/parallel connection of resistance/bulbs=2 questions
- Circuit Law and Network Theorems=10 questions
- Magnetic Circuits=10 questions
- Magnetic material=2 questions
- BH Curve/Hysteresis Loss=2 questions
- Magnetic Line=1 question
- Self Inductance/ Induced EMF =3 questions
- Time Constant/Energy=2 questions
- AC Fundamentals=10 questions
- R-L-C series circuit=3 questions
- R-L-C parallel circuit=1 question
- Q-factor=1 question
- Equivalent Resistance=1 question
- Power consumption in R-L-C=1 question
- Phase Difference=1 question
- Instantaneous value=1 question
- Reactance/inductance measurement=1 questions
- Measurement and Measurement Instrumentation: 10 questions
- Ammeter/Voltmeter (MC, MI and Electro dynamic)=6 questions
- AC bridge=1 question
- Energy meter=1 question
- CT/PT=1 question
- Resistance measurement=1 question
- Electrical Machines:22 questions
- DC Machine=4 questions
- 1-Phase/3-Phase transformer and Auto transformer =4 questions
- 1-Phase induction motor=6 questions
- 3-phase induction motor=2 questions
- Synchronous Motor=2 questions
- Alternator=4 questions
- Generation, Transmission and Distribution=16 questions
- Distribution/Substation =8 questions
- Transmission= 3 questions
- Generation=1 question
- Earthing=3 questions
- Protection=1 question
8. Utilization of Electrical Energy=6 questions
- Illumination=1 question
- Power factor=1 question
- Load factor=1 question
- Dielectric loss=1 question
- Welding=1 question
- Electric drive=1 question
- Basic Electronics=6 questions
- Transistor=1 question
- Rectifier=1 question
- PN Junction=1 question
- CRO=2 question
- CRT=1 question
Detailed SSC JE Electrical Syllabus:
Basic concepts :
Concepts of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and various factors affecting them. Concepts of current, voltage, power, energy and their units.
Circuit law :
Kirchhoff’s law, Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
Magnetic Circuit :
Concepts of flux, mmf, reluctance, Different kinds of magnetic materials, Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoidal, etc. Electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction.
Instantaneous, peak, R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves, Representation of sinusoidal wave form, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and C, Resonance, Tank Circuit. Poly Phase system – star and delta connection, 3 phase power, DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit.
Measurement and measuring instruments:
Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active and re-active) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement. Measurement of frequency and phase angle. Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type), extension of range wattmeter, Multimeters, Megger, Energy meter AC Bridges. Use of CRO, Signal Generator, CT, PT and their uses. Earth Fault detection.
Electrical Machines :
(a) D.C. Machine – Construction, Basic Principles of D.C. motors and generators, their characteristics, speed control and starting of D.C. Motors. Method of braking motor, Losses and efficiency of D.C. Machines. (b) 1 phase and 3 phase transformers – Construction, Principles of operation, equivalent circuit, voltage regulation, O.C. and S.C. Tests, Losses and efficiency. Effect of voltage, frequency and wave form on losses. Parallel operation of 1 phase /3 phase transformers. Auto transformers. (c) 3 phase induction motors, rotating magnetic field, principle of operation, equivalent circuit, torque-speed characteristics, starting and speed control of 3 phase induction motors. Methods of braking, effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics. Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors:Characteristics and applications.
Generation of 3-phase e.m.f. armature reaction, voltage regulation, parallel operation of two alternators, synchronizing, control of active and reactive power. Starting and applications of synchronous motors. Generation,
Transmission and Distribution:
Different types of power stations, Load factor, diversity factor, demand factor, cost of generation, inter-connection of power stations. Power factor improvement, various types of tariffs, types of faults, short circuit current for symmetrical faults. Switchgears – rating of circuit breakers, Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, H.R.C. Fuses, Protection against earth leakage / over current, etc. Buchholtz relay, Merz-Price system of protection of generators & transformers, protection of feeders and bus bars. Lightning arresters, 13 various transmission and distribution system, comparison of conductor materials, efficiency of different system. Cable – Different type of cables s, cable rating and derating factor.
Estimation and costing :
Estimation of lighting scheme, electric installation of machines and relevant IE rules. Earthing practices and IE Rules.
Utilization of Electrical Energy :
Illumination, Electric heating, Electric welding, Electroplating, Electric drives and motors.
Basic Electronics :
Working of various electronic devices e.g. P N Junction diodes, Transistors (NPN and PNP type), BJT and JFET. Simple circuits using these devices.