Job Interviews are meant to gauge the potential of the candidates to see if he/she has the skills to be placed in any suitable post in the concern organization. Job Interview questions are meant to measure the attitude, skill and adjustability of the candidate, to draw a conclusion on his/her suitability in the organization. The interviewers will ask as many questions they think is necessary before recruiting any candidate as they are concerned with the fact that the quality and the skills of the employees will determine the future of their organization.
Purpose of an Interview:
An interviewer generally observes following qualities in a candidate as under:
- Level of a candidate’s interview preparation
- Level of confidence
- Ability to hold eye contact
- Strength of handshake
- Quality of communication
- Personal appearance
- Body language/posture
- Work experience
- Professional qualification.
Top secret interview tips must be followed:
- Your first impression makes judgment of Interviewers about your worthiness, competitiveness. Most of the candidates lost interviews due to weak handshake, lack of eye contact or poor body language/posture.
- Careful planning and preparation will make sure how your interview will go smoothly. Hence, note down maximum possible questions and their answers in your diary, which may be probably asked from your CV, Job experience and current affairs.
- Important aspects of an interview are knowledge of the candidate, way of presentation and positive attitude.
- An interviewer looks for an attentive, active and good responsive candidate. Body language like smiling, eye contact, solid posture, active listening and nodding plays the important role for attention of interviewer.
- Way of presentation is the primary thing and knowledge of subject is secondary. Way of presentation is an art, which can be improved by practice of mock interviews. Though, knowledge builds confidence in the candidate for an interview.
- Practice of mock interview for your noted questions with your friends/family member or in front of mirror.
- Your voice should be sound and clear. Avoid speaking too fast and meaningless phrases like ‘you know’, ‘I mean’ etc.
- Sometimes interviewer challenged you for your answer to tests your temper and how you react under such situation. Avoid starting arguments. Reply very politely and be cool. An impressive and conﬁdent response of a question shows that the candidate can admit responsibility and accept constructive criticism.
- There may be 6-7 interviewers in a panel interview, which generally found in public sector interviews. In this case, it may be noted that always start your answer by directing your attention (eye contact) towards the question asking interviewer.
- Go through the hot issues of National/International Issues at least since last one month from the date of interview by reading news editorials and headlines of two-three national newspapers.
- Whenever interviewer asked about your views on any national/international hot issues. Avoid biased answer since every problem has two sides. Hence try to give balance answer about those issues.
- Listen carefully; avoid rushing to answer. If you don’t understand a question, ask for it to be repeated or clarified.
- End the interview with a good impression and give thanks to Interviewer.
Commonly asked job interview questions and their tips:
Here are some of the common but very effective interview questions and tips for answering.
- Tell me about yourself.
While explaining yourself, try to steer the conversion towards the topics you have particular strengths and highlight your good points.
- How would your experience be useful in this company?
Describe about your some skills which are relevant to the job requirement.
- What are your main strength and weakness?
It is always better to disclose your weakness initially and your strengths in the last. Be honest, disclosing your weakness is not a bad impact on the interviewer but it shows your integrity. You are not attempting to mislead them.
- Where do you see yourself in this firm/company in next five years?
Be ambitious but realistic when explaining about your target for achievement in interviewer’s company. Explain that you are always interested to accept more challenging position.
- Tell me about your vacation work.
Speak about your hobbies such as sports, clubs, cultural activities or your favorite books etc. Avoid telling any political or religious activities, those may be conflict with the interest of interviewer.
- Why do you want to work for us?
Brief a readymade story to tell about how you first became interested to work with interviewer’ firms. Show that you are keenly interested for this job.
- Why have you chosen to apply for this job function?
Point out some similarities among the job you are interviewing and your current job.
- Who do you think are, or will be, our main competitors?
Make knowledge about the other companies in this sector.
- What can you do for this organization which other people can’t?
- What do you think makes you suitable for this job?
Explained what you have learned and how it benefited the company. Describe about your some skills which are relevant to the job requirement.
- What do you see as the main threats or opportunities in this sector of work?
Make some brief notes about this sector from internet and organization’s literature.
- What image do you have of this company?
Make knowledge about the company of interviewer.
- Explain an example when you had a personal conflict with your senior and how you resolved it?
- Describe a situation you have found difficult in your previous working job and how did you overcome it?
Tell a readymade brief story in short how you face a difficult situation and how you solved it.
- What is your most noted accomplishment?
- Describe a project you have successfully completed in past.
Tell any one or two projects you have successfully completed projects in short but conclusive.
- Do you think you have leadership quality?
- Can you explain a situation in which you displayed leadership quality?
- Do you think you can perform well in a team?
- What experience do you have of working in a team and what role did you play in that team?
It is always better to answer these types of questions with examples. Tell interviewer that how people describe you cooperative and creative in achieving team goals.
- This is a job with a very heavy workload. Do you think you could cope with that?
Brief a readymade story (example) explaining how you are doing some tough work in present or past scenario/Job.
- How would you deal with a staff member caught stealing an item from the firm/company’s premises?
- How would you deal with an irate customer?
- Your manager goes on sick leave for a week and leaves you in charge. You hear staff complaining about the way he runs things- what do you do?
- The sales of firm are falling –what would you do to revive them?
- How would you solve a specific problem of your working field?
Hypothetical questions may be asked to tests your ability to think logically and produce practical solutions. There may be many possible solutions to the problem. How perfect your answer is doesn’t matter but it should be sound reasonable and well thought. Your confidence and awareness to the issues, merit the answer. In case of a hypothetical question or non-work related questions, take few seconds to think before answering which shows your serious thinking about the issue and then answer your solution.
How to overcome from Nervousness for an interview:
- First of all, try to think that this interview is not the end of the world, there will be other interviews in future. An unsuccessful interview will teach you many lessons. Don’t worry too much about making mistakes in interview. No one is perfect, even the interviewer too.
- Remember always preparation is the key of success. Careful planning and preparation will make sure how your job interview will go smoothly. Way of presentation is an art, which can be improved by practice of mock interviews. Hence, face the interview with positive attitude, confidence and smiling face. This could be the beginning of a remarkable journey. Good luck!